The importance of iPhones in criminal investigations
22nd September 2010
A recent article by USA Today reported that iPhone technology records extensive information that can be investigated more easily than BlackBerry or Android devices.
The iPhone includes various applications which can store evidence for criminal investigations:
- Mapping application – snaps a screenshot and stores it so whereabouts at a particular time can be determined
- GEO Tags and identifying information – photos posted online can contain GPS coordinates and the serial number of the phone that was used to take the photo
- The user’s browser history
- Data history – deleting the information doesn’t necessarily mean it can’t be recovered
- Keyboard cache logs – a history of everything that has been typed
In our experience we are able to extract critical evidence from BlackBerry and Android devices as well as iPhones.
This has been crucial to our clients in building a prosecution or defence case in criminal investigations.